Daughter of Joy, by Kathleen Morgan

Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek #1)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book begins with a young widow who has recently lost her son. She reluctantly accepts the position of housekeeper/nanny for a man whose reputation is that of a difficult, demanding boss with a spoiled, bratty daughter.

Early into the story, I almost stopped reading, thinking that this historical fiction would end the same way so many do, with the virtuous heroine winning the heart of the bad guy, who instantly changes his ways, comes to the Lord, and welcomes her into his affluent life. About the time the story was all wrapped up to end that way, a major plot twist jumped onto the scene and had to be resolved. Then another and another, and before I knew it, this simple, cut-and-dry romance had turned into a full-fledged drama.

As the characters work out the kinks and learn to trust God's hand through the tough times, we get to know people who are in various places in their walk with the Lord. We see their struggles--and even failures--to live what they're being called to, and there is encouragement in the reminder that God never gives up on us.

I ultimately enjoyed this book, even more once it got a little complicated and I couldn't predict exactly where it was going. Okay, okay, it IS historical romantic fiction, so I knew exactly where it was going, but I couldn't predict every step along the way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!