Give Them Grace, by Elyse Fitzpatrick

Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of JesusGive Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

To be honest, I have put off writing this review for a long time. I took my sweet time reading this book, not on purpose but because it was like reading in a foreign language. I identified with the concept that the authors were basing the book on, but I couldn't fully comprehend it. The mother and daughter authors, Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson, drew from their experiences to point out that the common methods of Christian parenting are lacking something very important--grace.

Having grown up in a fairly conservative holiness home and church, I know that sometimes the doctrines of man end up running over the basic principles God outlined for us. I have been on a journey most of my adult life to discover what God really wants of me, versus what I think He wants and what I strive to give Him. I've learned that outwardly obeying the rules doesn't make me a Christian anymore than wearing a t-shirt with a cross on it would. The authors are simply pointing out that the idea of outward obedience being the goal, has carried over into our parenting style. Except it's not that simple. Reading that sentence and believing it is straightforward. Recognizing where I am lacking in giving the appropriate amount of grace to my children, is another story. I couldn't quite grasp how understanding and embracing this concept would play out in day-to-day family life.

I will probably end up reading this book several more times, because, as I said, I think the basic idea is valid. I just need to sift through this one a while and pray over how it applies to the Hagerman home.

NOTE: NetGalley provided me a free review copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!